Former CMU professor tells women to dream big, laugh at book event

tkb-dr-sherene-03seq
Taylor Ballek/Satff Photographer Mount Pleasant resident Dr. Sherene McHenry speaks on behalf of womens night on campus to spread her strategies on how to live life to the fullest Monday at Mt. Pleasant Community Church, 1400 W. Broomfield Rd. McHenry is a member of the National Speakers Association and author of the book Pick: Choose to Create a Life You Live. “If you want to live a life you love, feed the soul,” said McHenry.

Health Professions Residential College Director Patricia Cwiek said she had been waiting to watch Sherene McHenry speak about making her dreams come true for quite some time.

Cwiek said McHenry told her she had a vision to write a book to use as a teaching supplement ever since she had known her, and Monday at the Community Church, 1400 W. Broomfield Road, was when it all happened.

McHenry, a former professor at Central Michigan University, spoke to a crowd of about 200 women at the Lights, Camera, Action: Create a Life You Love event about her book, "Pick: Choose to Create A Life You Love."

"I wanted to impact more people," McHenry said. "I can use my education, the broken pieces of my life, and I just love doing this. I love speaking to people; it heals me."

When McHenry took her leap of faith to leave CMU after 18 years, she said it was the hardest decision she has ever made.

"I loved teaching, I loved my students; it was great, but now I'm in my sweet spot," McHenry said. "I'm living my life with purpose, and I am the happiest I have ever been."

Senior Angelica Moore, who attended the presentation with Cwiek, said she felt inspired by her passion.

"We should all live life to the fullest and share the passion of life with each other; it's good for the community," the Merrill native said.

Cwiek was excited about the event because she said it is hard to find appropriate, tasteful events for women to go and celebrate positive things.

"It's good for women to support and encourage each other," she said.

Community Church Marriage and Family Coordinator Laura Laffoon said she was excited that students would be attending the event, because it can inspire them to reach for their dreams.

McHenry said she was always told to dream big in life. She told people to create a list of 100 things they want to do or be in life.

McHenry has spoken on three continents and even made it into the Wall Street Journal, but the most rewarding thing for her is hearing that she has changed someone's life.

"Everyone wants to live a happy and purposeful life. If you want to be an FBI agent or a stay-at-home mom, it doesn't matter if it is what you love. Make it happen," she said.

But, McHenry said it's not just "believe it and it'll happen." She encouraged people to know where they want to go and know what they have to do what it takes to get there.

Senior Sabrina Hebeler said it's great to hear about ways to lower stress and make it easier.

"She is a great speaker and very inspiring to have in the community," the St. Johns native said.

McHenry said being an optimist and remembering life is funny is key and, so, finding a sense of humor is important.

"Feeding your soul with fun is essential. A smart person makes sure to have fun once a month. An even smarter person tries to have fun at least once a week, but a brilliant person makes sure to do something fun everyday," she said. "We all want something to look forward to, whatever that may be"