Home runs and pitching help softball split opening MAC series at EMU

Softball earned an almost-perfect 3-0 victory against Eastern Michigan in the second game of a two-day series over the weekend in Ypsilanti.

Sophomore Carol Ann Sexauer, the team’s leader in RBIs and extra-base hits, got the Chippewas started with her fifth home run of the year to put the score at 1-0 in the top of the fourth inning. Sexauer, along with the rest of the four through seven hitters, recorded the Chippewas only hits on the day.

“I was just driving to drive the ball into the gap,” Sexauer said. "I try to keep the same approach at every at-bat.”

The Chippewas would hold on to the 1-0 lead until the top of the seventh inning when junior catcher Cory DeLamielleur added two insurance runs with a home run of her own

Besides timely hitting, the team was led by the superb pitching of junior Chelsea Sundberg. She was able to go the complete game allowing only two hits and no runs.

“She pitched really well, but, whenever she pitches well, the catcher deserves some credit for setting up the hitters at the plate,” said head coach Margo Jonker.

Sundberg started the game off with a 1-2-3 first inning, and she would not slow down for the rest of the game. The Chippewas would have two errors on the game, but Sundberg did her job to limit the damage of those errors. Sundberg continues the team’s already dominant pitching performance on the year.

After a tough loss on Saturday, the Chippewas were able to dust themselves off and get the first conference win of the season

“This is a game of failure when .300 is a good batting average,” Jonker said. "Coming back is in the nature of athletics.”

FRIDAY

The team fell in its first MAC game of the season, giving up a six-run third inning to lose 8-4 to the Eagles.

Going into the bottom of the third, the Chippewas were ahead 3-1 after another strong start from the top of their lineup, including another Sexauer home run.

However, the momentum would soon shift, starting with a single from Jenn Lucas who advanced to third on two consecutive singles to load the bases. With the tying runner on second base, senior Kara Dornbos hit Nellie Coquillard with a pitch, which bumped Lucas home to score.

The situation would not turn around, as Elaine Whitbeck connected with a double down the infield line to score two and give the Eagles the lead. Courtney Loe continued the rally, hitting a two-run triple to right center. They would finish with another run batting in Loe from a Mady Hostetler single to put the score 7-3.

At the end of the third, EMU had six runs off six hits, leaving two runners still on base. The excitement settled down after the third, with most innings ending in three at-bats from both teams.

Senior Kara Dornbos got the start and gave up five earned runs on the day and walks before junior Kristen Kuhlman’s gave up three earned runs in one inning of play.

Junior Morgan Yuncker entered the circle for 2.2 innings and didn’t allow a hit while striking out half the hitters she faced with four.

The team will now prepare for its first home game of the season at 2 p.m. Wednesday at Margo Jonker Stadium against Detroit.