St. Mary's Stations of the Cross remember Jesus' life

Some students at Central Michigan University celebrated Easter through dramatic means as they performed a living display of the Stations of the Cross Friday night.

The Stations of the Cross is a depiction of the events of Jesus' crucifixion, death and burial. Each of the 14 stations in the display includes a specific event alongside spiritual readings meant for reflection and prayer, most commonly used during the season of Lent.

While some Stations of the Cross displays are paintings or sculptures, some churches have also depicted the stations with actors adopting the roles of biblical figures, as St. Mary’s University Parish chose to do.

The purpose of the living stations is to help the events of Jesus’ life and death become clearer for those watching,  said Sparta senior Marianne Brown, who acted as the living station's narrator.

“It takes the last hours of Jesus’ life from being handed over to judgment to being put into the tomb and brings them to life,” Brown said.  “It allows me to visualize what I read in the Bible.”

Troy senior Gina Mouch, who has played the roles of Veronica and Mary Magdalene, agreed the event gave participants a strong insight.

“We’re taking the literal steps Jesus and his followers took leading up to the crucifixion,” Mouch said. “To walk with Jesus is a different experience than just seeing it. You get a more powerful sense that you’re suffering with him. It’s hard to put into words.”

Mount Pleasant resident Lauren Rinke said she found spiritual value in watching the dramatic display.

“Seeing it brought the events to the forefront of my mind,” Rinke said.  “It was easier for me to meditate on and pray about what was happening.”

Brown said students involved in the living stations typically begin meeting to practice and pray together four weeks before each year’s performances. Brown also had personal ways to get ready to share the spiritual experience with others.

“I usually prepare with prayer and remembering how I felt when I saw the stations for the first time,” Brown said.

Fairview sophomore David Lyden, who played the role of Jesus for his fourth time, brought a new dynamic to how he experienced the living stations and walking the path of Jesus as he went to his crucifixion.

“It’s a chance to show everyone what Jesus Christ did for them,” Lyden said.