Students raise awareness for Victoria Secret PINK contest

Central Michigan University could be on its way to being included in Victoria's Secret's PINK clothing line.

A small group of CMU students worked to raise awareness last week about the Victoria's Secret "PINK your campus" voting.

Victoria's Secret is choosing the top ten most voted for universities and bringing their PINK collection to the campus. The top ten schools will have campus representatives giving away Victoria's Secret freebies, pop-up shops, PINK themed parties and more.

In an effort to get CMU students to vote, the students partnered with the Honors Program Philanthropic Society to assist students in the registration and voting processes on the Victoria's Secret website.

"I am hoping to raise awareness for the Victoria's Secret voting contest, but also help the Honors Program Philanthropic Society raise money for their cause," Owosso freshman Abbigail Newbury, organizer of the "Pink our Campus" event said.

The CMU event to raise awareness about voting included $3 professional manicures, a $1 photo booth, and for $1 students could pie a brother of the Phi Kappa Tau fraternity in the face.

The money raised from the activities went to the Honors Program Philanthropic Society to be donated to the Women's Aid Service, Inc.

CMU's own Central Harmony and Fish n' Chips A Cappella performed at the event.

"I learned about (the event) through the flyers in Anspach," said Ludington junior Jenna Hackworth, "I thought it sounded like a great idea."

Ludington junior Jenna Hackworth came out with a friend for the music and freebies.

"I learned about it through Facebook," Greenville junior Renee' Ricket said, who found the contest to be a great opportunity for CMU to increase it's chances of having Victoria's Secret PINK clothing line in the future.

"The whole event has a fun atmosphere," said Ricket of the Rotunda room, which was decorated in the color pink and Victoria Secret bags.

CMU is currently ranked 8th in the Victoria's Secret PINK contest, needing only to remain in the top ten to be considered a winner.

Voting is taking place through Mar. 25. Anyone can register and vote once a day for a school of their choice.

For more information or to vote, visit the PINK Nation website at http://pink.victoriassecret.com/pinknation-spring2013-pink-your-campus