A history of Pride Week, Gay Pride Month

The history of pride celebrations in the United States is one that is full of struggle and strife.

Through the hardships, though, the LGBTQ community continues to overcome obstacles in their fight for equal treatment.

Nationally, pride celebrations began with the June 28, 1969, police raid of the Stonewall Inn, a popular bar for the underground gay community in New York City's Greenwich Village. Raids during the late 1960s were not uncommon and included line-ups and arrests, along with physical and sexual harassment.

Being homosexual was illegal at this time in every state but Illinois.

On this particular night, though, the streets erupted into violent protests against the police force and the degradation of the LGBTQ community and lasted for six days.

These riots, which came to be known as the Stonewall riots, marked a major turning point in the gay liberation movement in the U.S. and around the world.

Within six months of the Stonewall riots, newspapers and activist organizations were founded in unprecedented numbers promoting LGBTQ rights. This support propelled across the country and throughout the world.

Pride celebrations in the U.S. started one year after the Stonewall riots to commemorate them.

The last Sunday in June is deemed Pride Day and the whole month Gay Pride Month. The first pride marches took place on June 28, 1970 in some of the largest cities around the United States, where gay populations were the highest, including New York, Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Today, pride celebrations occur worldwide throughout the month of June.

At universities, Pride Week was designated to be celebrated in April, when school is still in session.

Celebrations at universities include parades, keynote speakers, student and informational panels, drag show performances and poetry readings, among other events.

At Central Michigan University, pride celebrations have a long history as well. In 1991, the Office of Gay and Lesbian Programming opened. Today, this office is known as LGBTQ Services.

For CMU alum Ryan Quinn, Pride Week was always a time of acceptance and celebration for him.

"It was just a positive experience. I always looked forward to Pride Week. I got to know people and make more bonds in the community," Quinn said.

Most student, faculty and community reactions to pride celebrations have been open and supportive.

"I don't think I ever had a negative reaction from others (students, faculty, community) during Pride Week," Quinn said.

Professor of foreign languages James Jones described a time when student actions at CMU were less than respectful. He described an incident on campus where the defacing of chalking done by LGBTQ people occurred.

Despite the lack of respect from some, Director of LGBTQ Services Shannon Jolliff-Dettore said pride celebrations at CMU are designed to do just that – celebrate.

"Overall, for the community, but even just for the campus as a whole, it is a celebration. It’s the end of the school year, so our events are focused around the celebration theme," Jolliff-Dettore said.

Jones described the lives of LGBTQ to a television show. He said because these people are never the 'main character,' it is difficult for them to identify with anyone.

"You can't find yourself," Jones said. "You aren't the main character."

Pride celebrations allow the LGBTQ community to embrace who they are and to connect with others and with themselves, he said.

"(Pride celebrations allow LGBTQ) to be open and celebrate existence in a world that denies existence," Jones said.