ADVICE: The ladies' guide to avoiding the friend zone

We’ve all heard of the “nice-guy friend zone” phenomenon.

One minute a girl likes a guy, the next he is considered one of her best friends and any hope of a romantic relationship flies out the window like a dove in a crappy Jessica Simpson music video.

But, what about girls being friend-zoned?

Oh, how the tables have turned.

Though being the best “girl friend” to a guy has its advantages – someone to make you laugh endlessly, someone who can reach the top cupboard and someone who is a “big brother” figure. What happens when a girl likes that guy more than a friend?

Ladies: If you like a guy, don’t let yourself get put into this caution area.

How, you ask?

Let me explain: Going into the “friend zone” in a relationship is avoidable; you just need to know how to behave accordingly. As in any relationship, there’s no question that being yourself is most important. When seeking a crush, you need to reel them in and keep them hooked.

After talking with some of my guy friends (who I’ve chosen to be friends with), they say one of the biggest ways a girl can friend zone herself is by always being available.

Guys like mystery. They like not knowing what is going to happen. Have you ever seen a guy carry around a planner? Nope.

Therefore, to keep a guy’s attention, don’t always be there for him. Of course, if he is stranded somewhere or really needs your help, but you just talked to him yesterday, you can still call him back. My point is, you don’t need to text and call him with your play-by-play everyday or reveal everything about yourself in the first two weeks.

Let them come to you and figure you out. It’s a game, but remember, boys like those.

Girls also need to stick up for themselves. It shows a lot more confidence when you disagree with something and say it. It’s impressive. If you’re always going with the flow, guys might assume they can walk all over you and you will slowly just become one of the guys. Bringing something new to the table and being who you truly are will show more than agreeing to doing everything.

And, the number one way to be friend zoned – let ‘em rip.

News flash! Girls do poop, fart, burp and are disgusting just like guys.

News flash! If you do that in front of guys, it is the easiest way for them to never look at you romantically again.