Baseball in Toledo for start of three-game series

b3-pickingitup-061
Kaitlin Thoresen/Staff Photographer Junior infielder Noel Santos leaps up to catch a ball in attempt to tag out Michigan State outfielder Anthony Cheky as he slides into second base during the Clash at Comerica game Wednesday night at Comerica Park. The game was called off during the 5th inning due to weather conditions and is reschedule for May 14th at Theunissen Stadium.

A sweep this weekend against Toledo would put the baseball team at a .500 record.

CMU will play the Rockets in a three-game series beginning at 3:05 p.m. Friday.

The Chippewas hold a 16-19 record compared to the 12-23 record of the Rockets.

“We’ve got to play to win as always,” said head coach Steve Jaksa. “We want to continue where we left off last weekend. And do what we were doing on the mound and hitting-wise on Tuesday.”

Last weekend the Chippewas went 2-1 in a series against Bowling Green, and, Tuesday, CMU shut out Calvin College, 10-0.

Sophomore pitcher Jordan Foley will start today's game.

Earlier in the week, Foley was named to the watch list for the 2013 Pitcher of the Year, just one of the two pitchers to represent the Mid-American Conference on the list.

Posting a 6-1 record, Foley has allowed seven earned runs and racked up 70 strikeouts.

The Colony, Texas, native’s ERA of 1.02 ranks among the top in the nation.

“Your Friday guy’s got to be able to keep you in those games to start a series, and, so far, he’s been able to do that,” Jaksa said. “We’re pleased with what he’s been doing, and we just need him to keep doing it.”

A big contributor to the Toledo offense is junior Tyler Grogg, recording 45 hits in 117 at-bats and posting 13 RBI.

Senior Matt Delewski leads the Rockets with 52 hits in 148 at-bats, including four doubles, a triple and 26 RBI.

The Regnier brothers continue to lead the Chippewas offense, with sophomore Nick racking up 46 hits, with eight doubles, two triples and four home runs. He also leads the team in RBI with 26.

Redshirt freshman Neal Jacobs has had himself a bit of a hot streak that CMU hopes won’t cool down this weekend.

In Tuesday’s game against Calvin College, Jacobs hit his fifth home run of the season, which happened to be the first grand slam of his college career.

With 23 RBIs, Jacobs is in the No. 2 spot for total RBIs on his team.

Jaksa said this weekend should be full of competitive games.

“They’re going to be ready,” Jaksa said. “Knowing their coach, I know he’s going to be telling them they need to win at home, and they’ll be bringing intensity. We’ve just got to match that but also play our own game. We need to have our own intensity and focus.”