CM Life Player of the Week: Dornbos nearly perfect over the weekend

cm_softball_31
Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer Senior pitcher Kara Dornbos delivers a pitch during Saturdays game against Toledo at Margo Jonker Stadium. Dronbos pitched all seven innings giving allowing only three hits as the Chippewas beat Toledo 3-0 to for their seventh straight victory.

Senior pitcher Kara Dornbos and the Chippewas pitching staff continue to dominate as the season progresses into important Mid-American Conference play.

Dornbos started two of the four games this past weekend, both against conference opponents in less-than-ideal weather. Nevertheless, Dornbos delivered two superb starts.

In game one of the Bowling Green doubleheader on Friday, Dornbos added her 13th complete game of the season, allowing only three hits and one earned run. Dornbos went three up and three down in the first four innings with the exception of one walk.

The Falcons wouldn’t get a hit or run off of Dornbos until the sixth inning, when they led the inning off with triple to center field. Despite the late attempt at a comeback, Dornbos ended up with a game one victory, her ninth win of the season.

Dornbos was even more relentless in her start against Toledo.

Dornbos blanked the Rockets and only allowed three hits and did not walk a single batter.

Dornbos is now 10-6 in18 appearances on the year and leads the team in innings pitched and complete games. Her ERA, 1.97, is also lowest on the team among starters.

As a senior, Dornbos sets the stage for the junior trio that follows her in the rotation, and they have followed in her footsteps, giving the Chippewas one of the most dominant pitching staffs in the MAC.