RPL 430 classes raise $100,000 since 2005

bam-duckrace04
File Photo by Brooke Mayle On April 13, 2012, Sterling Heights resident Joe Gubler, left, catches rubber ducks at the finsh line with Sterling Heights sophomore Alexis Lewandowski during the Duck Race in the Chip River at Island Park.

Central Michigan University's RPL 430: Planning Recreation Programs and Events classes have reached their goal of raising $100,000 for various charities in the past eight years.

The 16-week project consists of five group members who must work together to pull off an event that raises a profit for an organization of their choice.

Assistant Professor of Recreation, Parks and Leisure Services Timothy Otteman said the bar has been raised since the class project first began in 2005.

"We have eliminated the easy events like a typical 'Battle of the Bands,' or something that has been done too many times," Otteman said. "We push students to get creative and explore new options."

Otteman said events have included fashion shows, 5k races and flag football tournaments. In order to allow students to be as imaginative as possible, Otteman said they are not given a budget.

Three Rivers junior Morgan Burnson said her group held an event at The Cabin, 930 W. Broomfield St., March 27 to raise money for Habitat for Humanity.

"RPL 430 is an amazing class to be part of, because it is all so hands-on and the work gives us real experience, which you can't get from a textbook," Burnson said. "We learned how to get sponsors and be told 'no,' which is better to realize as a college student (than as a professional)."

Rochester Hills junior Erin Hayes said her group decided to do a sports-themed silent auction at Hunter's Ale House, 4855 E. Bluegrass Road, to help support Special Olympics, where they raised $2,270.

"We raised the most in our class, which was great," Hayes said. "But, just seeing the reaction of the people at Special Olympics was the best part, because they were so thankful."

Hayes said the group had signed Detroit Red Wings and Tigers jerseys, Detroit Pistons tickets and Detroit Lions sweatshirts to offer at the auction.

"I have a friend who knows Pavel Datsyuk, so we got everything donated to us," Hayes said.

Otteman said one of the biggest lessons learned in the class is realizing the events planning business is more about who you know and less about what you know.

Freeland sophomore Courtney Payk said she gained a lot of real-world skills out of the challenges presented in the RPL 430 class.

Payk's group created a simulated zombie camp, where $400 was raised for the Isabella County Soup Kitchen.

"I learned risk management skills, and was able to practice quick thinking strategies I could use for my future employers," she said. "I'm able to be open to all the obstacles any event might bring."

Starting from scratch and learning from all the little bumps that happen while planning an event is another key aspect Otteman said students benefit from.

"When you really think about it, five students, 16 weeks, a huge event to pull off; it's all really amazing," Burnson said. "I know our class is only the tip of the iceberg in the $100,000 accomplishment, but I'm still really proud for our department and professors"