Board of Trustees to meet Friday for vote on CMED East

The Central Michigan University Board of Trustees will meet Friday to vote for more planning and design funding for Phase 1 of the College of Medicine's Saginaw campus.

The trustees will also vote on a memorandum of understanding for the project's first phase, a 48,000-square-foot facility planned for construction on the grounds of Covenant Healthcare in Saginaw. That facility is expected to come with a $25-million price tag for CMU.

The board will meet in the President's Conference Room in the Bovee University Center at 11:45 a.m. Friday for the special, one-item meeting.

At April's Board of Trustees meeting, CMED Dean Ernest Yoder announced the total design costs for the CMED East facilities have cost the university $2.2 million.

It is unclear how much further funding is needed for planning and design.

Yoder said at the April board meeting the design stage of CMED’s Saginaw facility is near completion, and the school is beginning plans for construction.

“There is clearly a need for an urban high-tech environment like Saginaw. It provides an opportunity for students to be trained in the whole spectrum. The facility in Saginaw is critical,” Yoder said.

CMED East will also use the land and facilities of St. Mary's Hospital in Saginaw. The total costs of the CMED East project are an estimated $46.5 million.

The Saginaw campus will provide clinical completion for years three and four of the CMED curriculum.

Back on campus, the College of Medicine is set to open with its 64-student inaugural class in the fall.