Social Media Day Detroit gives students chance to network at MotorCity Casino

web-social-media-day-detroit-04
Photo courtesy of Robert Bowden Photography An attendee signs up for a chance to win prizes from Yelp! on June 30, 2012 during Social Media Day Detroit at the MotorCity Casino Hotel’s Soundboard in Detroit, Mich. Last year Social Media Day Detroit attracted 1,500 guests who participated in the live music and giveaways. This years event will host 17 sponsors for students to network with including Chevrolet, Detroit Red Wings, Detroit Tigers, ePrize, Lava.io, MLive, Twitter and U-Haul.

Students over age 21 will have the opportunity to network and pursue employment opportunities at a casino for Social Media Day Detroit on June 27.

The networking opportunity will take place at the MotorCity Casino Hotel in Detroit next Thursday and will feature various companies from throughout the state and country, including Yelp!, Fathead and the Detroit Red Wings.

Co-founders Nicole Yelland, director of marketing and communications at Livio Radio, and John Policicchio, director of interactive marketing at MotorCity, started the event with the goal of bringing students together with businesses from the community in a fun atmosphere.

"All of these companies are hiring," Yelland said. "You're going to really struggle to be bored".

The event will even have rap-battles and musical performances and starts at 6 p.m. and goes until 10 p.m. with a possible after-party event.

Policicchio said the benefits for students to make the journey to Detroit include the possible job opportunities and the career experience these potential jobs hold.

“There’s actually a lot of real world on-the-ground experience,” Policicchio said.

There will be a panel discussion question and answer pre-event from 5-6 p.m., which will feature representatives from companies such as Twitter and Google where participants can ask valuable questions of the companies.

Policicchio said the students that would particularly like this event are at least 21, closer to graduation, anyone looking for a job, interested in marketing, technology, personal relations and media relations.

Yelland said between 200 and 300 students, many of them from Central Michigan University, are already registered.

For more information and to register for free tickets, visit http://smdaydet2013.eventbrite.com/