MOVIE REVIEW: 'The Lone Ranger' reprises a classic without letting its brain get in the way

lone-ranger
Set in western Texas, "The Lone Ranger" stars Armie Hammer, right, as the masked crusader and Johnny Depp as his comanche sidekick, Tonto. The film contains little commentary on the Western Expansion but remains a fun western film for the summer. (Photo Courtesy of alphacoders.com)

Amid the canyons and sandy mountain peaks of the arid Texas wilderness, calm has set in. But just as easily, that native serenity is swiftly dashed by the cries of gunshots and terrified villagers that populate the setting in Jerry Bruckheimer’s colossal revitalization of the classic "Lone Ranger" saga.

Dispensing of the politicized pretension that has been in vogue for this summer’s blockbuster season, “The Lone Ranger” was a refreshing, action-packed romp through the Wild West.

The obvious but easily digestible plot of this rare western vehicle easily leads viewers through nearly three hours of quick-draws and stoic comic relief.  And the bloodshed and grit pose violent pageantry against an immersive and realistic desert backdrop.

Although “The Lone Ranger” is clearly not out to intellectualize its aging genre, it does provide hedonistic thrills. A heavily made-up Johnny Depp as the soft-spoken Tonto is thankfully downplayed as a sidekick to the surprisingly aggressive star Armie Hammer.

Hammer’s short but successful career has mostly found him acting in dramas such as “The Social Network” and “J. Edgar.” Here, his dramatic melodrama is mildly present but eagerly overshadowed by the physicality of his jaw-dropping stunts.

And the villains who threaten justice throughout the Southwest couldn’t be dirtier or more depraved. From corrupt politicians to snarling gunslingers, the baddies may terrify youngsters with their scarred faces and dastardly acts.

Comfortable as the lead outlaw and antagonist, William Fichtner has made a name for himself as a hideous villain over the past decade. Here, he plays to his strengths as the hated Butch Cavendish in a simple but highly theatrical antagonist to the heartwarming heroes.

Although “The Lone Ranger” stretches just barely under 2.5 hours, it is evenly paced in its swashbuckling glory, finding plenty of room for comic relief as the chemistry of Hammer and Depp does shine about every 45 minutes.

It is a fun watch, but viewers must hope “The Lone Ranger” will be left at that unlike Bruckheimer’s now tired and forced “Pirates of the Carribean” tetralogy.

Although there is plenty of mindless glee amid the realistic, naturalist cinematography, this film is clearly geared for a younger audience. It could easily depress seasoned fans of the legendary serials with its corny jokes and physical comedy.

This summer, The Lone Ranger rides again with guns, glory and little thematic gluttony for all.

Rating: 3.5 stars