BRIEF: Wilkes pushes for transparency at VP of Finance open forum

Vice President of Finance and Administrative Services David Burdette will retire from his position as Central Michigan University's top money man this month, and two finalists are aiming for the key position.

The first finalist, CMU Associate Vice President of Financial Services and Reporting Barrie Wilkes, held an open forum Friday. Wilkes is an established candidate, touting his 21 years of internal experience and his strong working relationships with different university bodies as his greatest advantage in the race.

Wilkes also stressed the importance of an open administration.

"We need to do a better job of being transparent, of sharing information,” he said. “…I think we need to be having budget forums like we did a couple of years ago."

In the sparsely attended public forum, Wilkes took the opportunity to expound on his vision for the university as it wades through a budget crisis and how he thinks he can help. The forum gave faculty, staff, students and the public a chance to question the potential vice president.

The second candidate in the vice presidential search, Sue Fuciarelli, has an open forum scheduled for 4-4:45 p.m. Monday in the Bovee University Center Auditorium. The event is open to the public, and questions are encouraged.

About Ben Solis

Ben Solis is the Managing Editor of Central Michigan Life. He has served as a city and university ...

View Posts by Ben Solis →