McIntyre shows strengths despite volleyball loss

Junior outside hitter Kaitlyn McIntyre is one week removed from joining the 1,000-kill club and is playing some of the best volleyball of her career.

Volleyball was swept by Kent State, but that does not take away from the performance she turned in on Saturday. The junior had 18 kills with 10 digs on the night.  She also had a .205 hitting percentage.

"It was very physical out there," McIntyre said. "We just weren't firing on all cylinders tonight, and we need to be able to do that to get it done."

McIntyre and her fellow Chippewas played a tough match against the Golden Flashes.  Defensively, Kent State looked to be a step ahead of CMU at all times, playing physically and getting tough blocks.

"I'd have to say we gave them too many points," McIntyre said. "We had to make them play. Defensively, we're a better team I believe, so I think if we make them play, it's a different match."

Since McIntyre reached the 1,000-kill mark last week, she seems to be playing with even more confidence than before.  However, she said effort and confidence levels don't necessarily coincide with her season statistics.

"It's honestly just a number to me," McIntyre said.  "I haven't done anything different or thought about doing things any differently, but it is an honor to be apart of."

No other player contributed more than nine kills aside from McIntyre's 18. Junior middle blocker/outside hitter Hallie Enderle had nine kills with a .286 hitting percentage.