College of Health Professions to bring services to the public with mobile health vehicle

Central Michigan University is bringing a whole new meaning to recreational vehicles as the Herbert H. & Grace A. Dow College of Health Professions will be operating a customized RV as a mobile health provider this summer.

The vehicle will travel to rural and underserved areas of Michigan to bring the Carls Center services to those unable to drive to a clinic and provide students with a less traditional approach to completing their school work.

“The College of Health Professions is very people oriented and involved in clinical services and research for communities," said Christopher Ingersoll, CHP dean. "The vehicle will give us more opportunities for faculty and students to go out into the community.”

The vehicle will be an extension of the Carls Center for Clinical Care and Education, which specializes in cochlear implant services, fall and balance therapy, hearing aid services, physical therapy and speech-language therapy.

Funded by a $500,000 grant from The Herbert H. & Grace A. Dow Foundation of Midland, the recreational vehicle will hit the road in late spring or early summer of this year.

“It will provide the same services and opportunities the clinic does, as well as allow for research that requires going out into the community,” Ingersoll said.

The cost of the services provided on the RV will be similar to what one would pay if visiting the Carls Center.

Depending on the service and the circumstance, some services will receive a bill like any other clinic, Ingersoll said. However, by accumulating sponsors or investors for the mobile health vehicle, free services could be provided.

“We call it going out on a mission to do a clinic and research," Ingersoll said. "It would be a part of the students' training. Instead of training at a local clinic, they would do it on the vehicle.”

Karen Haskin, director of clinical services for the Carl Center, said she believes the vehicle will greatly benefit the community and students.

“It’s a great thing to be able to have the opportunity to extend the clinic’s services and education for the students," Haskin said. "It will improve learning from a clinical standpoint and will extend them into reaching into the community and have hands on learning."

In Haskin's mind, the addition of the new mobile health vehicle mirrors the future of health care.

“Health care itself is moving toward a focus on the community. This fits right in with that,” Haskin said.