Contractors to be picked to begin design for lacrosse, soccer field

Facilities Management held a site inspection and pre-bid meeting on Thursday for design professionals in preparation of future construction of a women’s lacrosse field.

The women's lacrosse program is slated to begin in 2016, and plans for the team infrastructure are underway. The women’s lacrosse and soccer teams will share the new field with soccer using the field in the fall and lacrosse using it in the spring.

Steve Lawrence, associate vice president of Facilities Management, said a synthetic turf field will be installed, replacing the existing grass field. He said he was unsure whether the building project will result in a standalone field or a larger facility, which will be determined at a later date.

Proposals for designs from different contractors will be vetted next week. Once all the proposals are in, a committee will review the proposals and eventually select a number of different firms to interview.

“Our intent is to do the interviews Feb. 14 and award the contracts by Feb. 25,” Lawrence said.

Lawrence said he and other officials are looking to provide locker rooms and restrooms for the field. How these could take shape is unknown, but Lawrence said they had a few different options, one option being to renovate spaces in the Rose Center.

Once the contractors are selected, design documents for the field can be created, as well as any projected estimates for project cost. Once these documents are submitted to CMU officials, Lawrence and other representatives will present the information to the Board of Trustees.

The locker room facilities are projected to be available Aug. 1, 2015. Lawrence said there is no completion date set for the field.

A decision will be made once contractors are hired.

A storm water retention system will also be installed underneath the field to manage storm water runoff for the entire complex.