Softball claims two wins in second day of the Rosemont Rumble

Softball opened its second day of competition in the Rosemont Rumble with two victories, staying undefeated in the tournament.

CMU defeated Drake for the second time 6-0 Saturday afternoon after meeting on the diamond on Friday. The Chippewas would finish its double-header with a 5-2 win against the University of Illinois-Chicago.

The Chippewas pitching staff stepped up early. Senior Morgan Yuncker pitched a full game shutout, allowing only four Bulldog hits.

CMU struggled offensively in their season opener on Friday, but were able to get the bats going in their second day of competition with 11 hits, and a .324 team batting average against Drake.

The hits were spread around eight Chippewas. Junior left fielder Kristen Kuhlman led the team, going 3-for-4 with an RBI double in the fourth inning.

In their second game of the day, freshman pitcher Rachael Knapp went all seven innings, allowing only two hits. Knapp tallied eight strikeouts and walked just one batter in the 5-2 win.

In the her first career outing, Knapp held UIC to a .086 batting average. On the offensive side, the Chippewas found production from senior third baseman Trista Cox, who went 2-4, doubling in a run in the first inning and putting a third inning pitch over the leftfield wall.

Senior catcher Cory DeLamielleure also went 2-3 with an RBI, which came on a first inning single to left field. Knapp allowed just one UIC hit in the final five innings of the game, as the Chippewas improved their record to 3-0.