Women's basketball fights past NIU, secures piece of MAC West regular season title

Central Michigan women’s basketball clinched a share of the program’s first-ever regular season Mid-American Conference West Division title following a hard fought 85-77 win over Northern Illinois.

After a closely contested first half, the Chippewas pulled away with a barrage of 3-point plays and shots from behind the arc.

NIU was the first to take a major lead following an 8-0 run to take a 16-10 lead with 11:10 remaining in the first half. The Huskies continued to control the game as they took a 21-12 lead over the next three minutes. Amanda Corral led the Huskies with 23 points in 37 minutes of action.

Looking to respond, the Chippewas turned to junior guard Kerby Tamm to cut the lead. Tamm hit back-to-back 3-pointers to put CMU within striking distance.

Tamm finished with 12 points and was 3-of-7 from the field.

In the second half the Chippewas started to attack the basket. Junior guard Crystal Bradford converted a pair of 3-point plays, while a steal from junior guard Jessica Green lead to a 3-point play for sophomore guard Da’Jourie Turner and a 54-49 lead.

Senior forward Taylor Johnson was able to continue the Chippewas strong second half with a pair of threes and the team never looked back.

Bradford recorded a double-double with 29 points and 10 rebounds. Junior forward Jas’Mine Bracey also added a double-double, scoring 11 points and grabbing 13 rebounds.

The win gives the Chippewas the most conference wins in one season since the 1985-86 campaign, when the team finished 13-5 in the MAC.