City commission approves three road projects, Pickard bridge overhaul

a5-bridge-1-copy1
Arin Bisaro | Staff Photographer The Mount Pleasant Planning Commission approved construction at the Chippewa River Bridge on Pickard Street, at Monday's joint meeting with the City Commission.

A major overhaul of the Chippewa River Bridge on Pickard Road is planned for 2017.

Three Michigan Department of Transportation resolutions were approved at the Mount Pleasant City Commission meeting Monday, including one that would bring an estimated $712,000 in repairs to the bridge.

"The MDOT grant process is typically multiple years ahead in planning," Interim City Manager Nancy Ridley wrote in a memo to city commissioners.

A new sidewalk, deck and railing would be installed on the bridge, in addition to new guard rails, approaches and other general improvements.

MDOT's Local Bridge Program, which requires applications for funding three years in advance, will cover 95 percent of the construction costs, meaning the city will foot $35,600 in construction fees. The city of Mount Pleasant will pay a total of $142,000 for the project, as the program does not cover design and construction engineering costs.

Residents can also expect to see construction barrels beginning this summer.

Broadway Street's westernmost stretch between Bradley and Harris streets will also be reconstructed this summer, beginning in June.

The construction project is funded in part by a $375,000 grant from MDOT, which will bid the work out by April. The project's total cost amounts to $916,000. The remaining funds due will come from the city's major streets and water budgets.

It is unclear how long the Broadway construction will take.

The commission also formally recognized Fairfield Drive as part of its street inventory Monday, to receive increased funding from MDOT for street maintenance.