LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Persistence for equal opportunities

There are many negative affiliations tied to anyone who is a part of the LGBTQ community and the lifestyle that they choose to live. Similarly, there is an enormous population of people who are working against gay and lesbian rights – however, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has decided to take action against the discrimination.

Holder stated that the Justice Department’s role in confronting discrimination must be as aggressive today as it was in Robert Kennedy’s time. He realizes that equal rights for gay and lesbian couples requires a battle, but is worth every ounce of time and energy to ensure they receive the fair treatment and equal opportunities they deserve.

Everyone has an opinion on the subject, but it is not a matter or right and wrong.

Rather, it is an effort to get individuals to realize that members of the LGBTQ Community are human beings – just as everyone else. They do not deserve to be criticized for making life decisions that are not harmful to anyone. Their decisions only factor into their own individual life satisfaction.

Everyone deserves to be treated equally, and with Eric Holder’s push for this equality, it can hopefully spark a nationwide movement for those who believe the government should not be interfering with this aspect of our individual lives. This is not something that will happen overnight, but with much persistence, equal opportunity – like Michigan has decided – can be granted to those who deserve it the most.

Sincerely,

Alyson Strzalkowski

Livonia sophomore