RSO spotlight: Statistics Club assists community with volunteer work, problem solving

There's no need to worry about the odds being ever in your favor.

The Statistics Club, which returned from a hiatus in spring 2013, allows students of all majors and minors to join. The registered student organization is a service club that works with local organizations like the Mobile Food Pantry and Isabella County Animal Shelter to help raise money for different causes.

"We try to improve their functions," said Nicole Feinauer, club president and Rockford senior. "We work on projects they need help with."

Last semester the Statistics Club worked with the Isabella County Animal Shelter to help raise its adoption rate as club members used their knowledge of problem solving and organization to create surveys for the animal shelter to distribute to clients. Feinauer said a key piece of statistics is looking for trends and data.

"We came up with ways they could find correlations," she said. "So for example, if the shelter's clients were college-age students, then they should market on Facebook and (other) social media college students use."

In addition to service opportunities, members of the club are able to use it as a resumé builder and showcase their mathematical skills.

"I wanted a club where you didn't have to be intimidated if you didn't know statistics," said Sarah Mok, vice president and Washington Township senior. "It's a lot of volunteering and getting to know people and a little bit of problem solving."

Service opportunities in the past included a canned food drive and Tropical Smoothie fundraiser, which helped raise $250 for the animal shelter.

This semester the club plans to bring in an employee from the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort to talk about gambling and statistics, in addition to hosting a movie night and creating a survey to look for links between college students' social media use and their GPA.

Students who are interested in joining the Statistics Club can attend meetings on Mondays at 5:30 p.m. in Pearce 108.