Trista Cox owns the plate in non-conference schedule

b3-tristacox
Sophomore infielder Trista Cox tries to tag out a Bowling Green player as she slides into third during the game Saturday afternoon at Margo Jonker Stadium. Kaitlin Thoresen/Staff Photographer

Trista Cox has found herself the catalyst for an aggressive Central Michigan offense.

CMU's softball team heads into Mid-American Conference play with a 17-9 record, and are in a good spot to pit themselves against conference competitors while almost doubling the score of their competitors. Cox, a junior third baseman, has played a large role in the team’s success thus far.

Typically batting in the three or four slot, Cox leads the team in nearly every major offensive category.

“I don’t really think about certain kinds of pitches that could be coming," she said. "It’s really just, ‘see the ball, hit the ball.' I just want to contribute to the team, and it means a lot to me when I do.”

Cox, in essence, is the team’s triple crown winner. At this point in the season, Cox is hitting .366, with 19 RBI and seven home runs.

She also leads the Chippewas in hits (30), on base percentage (.400), and slugging percentage (.695).

This level of performance is nothing new for Cox. From Indianapolis, Cox attended Roncalli High School, where she received all-state honors her junior and senior seasons before committing to Louisville.

However, after seeing limited-playing time for a Louisville team that went an incredible 55-5 her freshman year, Cox transferred to CMU a decision she arrived at based on “a gut feeling.”

"The team, the coaches, and the facilities were all great," Cox said. "I knew CMU was the place I wanted to be.”

She made an immediate impact upon arrival, finishing the 2013 season with a .298 batting average, five home runs, and 22 RBI, which earned her second-team All-MAC honors. Most importantly, she helped the Chippewas claim the MAC championship, hitting a walk-off home run in the 11th inning against Northern Illinois.

When the fundamentals of her game and her approach at the plate are concerned, Cox said the coaches and her teammates have helped her.

"Also, knowing that I have a strong team behind me allows me to relax and have fun at the plate," Cox said. "Central has become a home away from home for me."

Cox and the Chippewas open MAC play Friday, hosting Akron in Margo Jonker Stadium. The first pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.