Warrant issued for former basketball player Sheldon Lowman

lowman-sheldon

Lowman_SheldonA warrant for the arrest of former men’s basketball player Sheldon Lowman was issued on Thursday for failure to show up for his arraignment hearing at the Isabella County Trial Courthouse on Wednesday.

Lowman, a former walk-on and transfer student from Mid-Michigan Community College, was charged Feb. 12 for third-degree retail fraud after stealing $9.96 worth of merchandise from Walmart, located on Encore Boulevard.

On Feb. 14, the junior was pulled over for speeding and charged with no proof of insurance.

According to Isabella County Court records, he was later lodged on March 3 where he paid 10 percent of his $7,000 bond and entered a plea of not guilty.

Mount Pleasant defense attorney Todd Levitt said Lowman could face up to 93 days in jail for the charges, along with failing to show up for his court date.

“It’s in his best interest to turn himself in immediately,” Levitt said. “If someone fails to appear in court intentionally, then the penalties are severe. Depending on his record and criminal history and failure to appear in court, he could do anywhere from zero to 93 days, but he will definitely do some time for failing to appear in court.”

Lowman has a lengthy criminal history dating back to 2011.

In 2011, he was sued by Apartment Management Group LLC for non-payment of rent. He was taken to small claims court by United Apartments for a claim of $5,000 in 2013. Lowman did not appear for his court date and the case was decided, by default, in favor of United.

On July 17, 2013, Lowman was charged with disorderly person jostling outside of Okelly’s Sports Bar and Grille and received a citation for minor in possession of alcohol after recording a blood alcohol content level of .089.

In December 2013, Lowman was pulled over and given a ticket for no proof of insurance.

Because Lowman failed to appear in court, Levitt believes his penalties will increase.

“Had he shown up in court, he had a chance to be placed on six-month non-reporting probation," Levitt said. “But now, if he doesn’t have a legitimate reason for not appearing, that could turn into reporting probation and additional fines and cost for the warrant fees.”

Lowman was first taken off the basketball roster, as well as CMU’s athletic site, against Ball State on Feb. 19, but hadn’t played in a game since Jan. 3.

In 20 minutes of play in six games, he averaged 1.7 points, 0.7 rebounds, and 0.1 assists.

It was reported by Central Michigan athletics in January that Lowman suffered a knee injury that kept him out of competition.

Head coach Keno Davis confirmed the absence of Lowman against Ball State, but declined further comment. CMU athletics also declined comment.

On March 1 against Ball State, Davis confirmed he was no longer on the team.

Central Michigan Life attempted to contact Lowman, but he could not be reached for comment.