Drag show entertains a full crowd during Pride Week

drag_04
Lansing Drag Queen Maria Mirelez blows a kiss in the mirror, before he finishes getting dressed for the CMU Drag Show, Wed. April 16, 2014.

[wzslider autoplay="true" interval="5000" transition="'slide'" info="true"] Grown men dressed up in hot red dresses and tall, glittering heels danced across the stage last week in Plachta Auditorium.

The annual drag show was part of Central Michigan University’s Pride Week, sponsored by the Office of LGBTQ Services. Plachta was packed with excited students ready to see Detroit-based drag queen Sabin perform.

“This is my favorite show of the year,” Sabin said. “The reason I perform is because of CMU. The standing ovation I received here years ago has kept me going.”

Sabin recently won the Michigan’s Entertainer of the Year award and auditioned for RuPaul’s Drag Race.

Sabin filled the night with crude jokes and witty humor while engaging with the audience. There was never a dull moment within the crowd.

Sabin performed four dance routines as the night went on. Five other performers took the stage including Eva Angelica, Naomi Rose, Donatella, and Maddox. They performed to songs by Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj and Britney Spears.

Students who won the amateur drag show hosted by CMU last fall also performed on stage. Members of the audience were encouraged to tip the drag queens, and many were spotted handing out bills to the performers throughout the night.

After performing a few routines and jokes, Sabin shared a personal story of how she came out to her family. Sabin said her mother and two sisters supported her completely, giving her the acceptance she needed.

“I’ve never gone without love,” Sabin said. “My mother and my sisters are my life. I wouldn’t be here today without them.”

North Dakota sophomore Meghan Campbell felt the show was a success. This was her second year attending, and she plans on attending each year in the future.

“The show was absolutely wonderful,” Campbell said. “I loved the entire show. I’ve had a few friends come out, and I think this show is a great way for people to express themselves and offer support for the community.”

Grand Rapids junior Alexis Smith enjoyed how Sabin involved the CMU drag show winners. She said it shows how accepting CMU is as a community.

“I’ve gone to the show for the last three years,” Smith said. “I’ve loved it every time, it has such great energy. I like that the show is hosted in honor of pride week, it shows what a great community CMU is, and how open and supportive we are.”

Sabin said her experiences at CMU have changed her as a person as well as a performer.

She offered the students one last piece of advice before closing out the show.

“In this crazy world, there is only one thing you can do, take care of yourself and each other,” Sabin said. “So everyone of you, go out, and do it.”