Local farmer pleads not guilty in death of 71 calves

A Deerfield Township farmer charged with animal cruelty pleaded not guilty at his arraignment Monday at the Isabella County Trial Court.

John Montross, 29, faces up to four years in prison and a $5,000 fine if he is found guilty of animal cruelty after 71 calves were found dead on his farm on Remus Road.

Court records show Isabella County Animal Control, which has led the investigation in the case, found several more calves buried under hay and snow at his property.

A warrant for Montross' arrest was issued on April 9.

Isabella County Trial Judge Eric Janes set Montross' preliminary hearing for Thursday at 8:15 a.m.

Isabella County Sheriff Leo Mioduszewski said the sheriff's office is not involved with the investigation, as Animal Control has taken the lead.

Jim Baxter of Clare, was picking up his niece from school in Mount Pleasant on Thursday shortly after he first heard the news. As a resident in the area for several years, Baxter said he cannot remember a recent case as bizarre as this one.

“It’s disturbing,” he said. “You never like to hear something like this when you read about your area, especially since there’s so many farms ... nearby. It reflects poorly on all of us, even if it is just one case. I’m hoping it just turns out to be some sort of mistake or something like that, but that’s tough to tell at this point."

Local veterinarian Jan Pol was called out to Montross’ farm on W. Remus Road as part of the investigation.

It is unclear how and why the animals died. Michigan State University Extension agriculture educator Kable Thurlow told the Associated Press it is not unusual for animals to die on a farmer’s property, but the amount of deaths is surprising.

“Usually, if someone loses a calf or two, they are working with a veterinarian or the (MSU) Extension,” Kable said.

Montross is represented by Defense Attorney Keeley Heath.