Mahone, Urueta sworn in at SGA inauguration

With many rounds of thunderous applause, the Student Government Association officials chosen in last week's election were welcomed and sworn in at their inauguration Monday.

Held in the Bovee University Center Rotunda, the event celebrated SGA's achievements of the last year and looked to the future of the organization.

Following their landslide victory in the election, President-elect Charles Mahone and running mate Mariah Urueta were sworn in at the ceremony.

"I feel really blessed by all the support from everyone who helped us get here," Mahone said. "Mariah and I couldn't have won if not for all the people behind us."

The ceremony opened with a statement from the outgoing SGA President, Marie Reimers. The Saginaw senior congratulated Mahone and Urueta, and said she looks forward to seeing what the new administration will accomplish.

Mahone, a Macomb junior, said their first task in office will be to choose an executive board to serve in the administration. All students will have the chance to apply for the positions when they begin accepting applications later in the month.

"It's been a long week, but our work is just beginning," Urueta said. "I'm excited to get our e-board together so we can start working toward the goals from our platform."

A variety of awards were given out at the event. Each committee gave out a Member of the Year award for outstanding dedication to the group's work. The Residence Hall Assembly also claimed an award for its work and cooperation with SGA throughout the year.

Reimers selected St. Clair Shores senior Kevin White to receive the award for outstanding SGA member.

White worked throughout the year on reforms to the Campus Programming Fund. The reform aimed to increase the annual budget for the fund, which provides money for organizations on campus like SGA, the Office of Student Life and Program Board.

Reimers announced during the ceremony the CMU Board of Trustees has decided on a reform plan for the CPF and there will be a funding increase next semester. While the amount has not been determined, there will be an increase to the current fund of $783,000.

The board asked White to provide more information before an amount can be approved.

https://vimeo.com/91473375