Next CM Life editor-in-chief named for summer, fall semesters

solis-ben

Canton sophomore Ben Solis will be the next editor-in-chief for Central Michigan Life beginning this summer.

Solis, who transferred from Washtenaw Community College in 2012, has served as the university editor for the past semester, and will take over as editor-in-chief beginning April 27. After several days of supervision from the current EIC, St. Clair Shores senior Justin Hicks, Solis will lead the CM Life staff for the summer of 2014 and the following fall semester.

“I don’t think I’ve ever done anything in my life that I’ve enjoyed as much as (journalism),” Solis said. “Having the opportunity to work here was pretty big.”

Solis, who was the editor of The Washtenaw Voice, plans to continue fortifying strong relationships with university staff and students. He hopes to help the paper move forward as the new school year begins.

“I want to give everybody a fair voice,” Solis said. “I also want to increase readership at the same time, so that means pumping up the positives that the university and the RSO’s do, but at the same time remaining pretty vigilant about holding these people accountable when they mess up.”

Hicks sat in on Solis’ application process, and believes his previous experience at The Voice will be beneficial to the new editor-in-chief.

Hicks said Solis has proven his leadership skills through his work with the university desk, and his eye for news and passion for reporting will be helpful in his new position. Keeping that passion in check during stressful production days will be something for Solis to work on, Hicks said.

“Everyone below you is going to react the same way you do,” Hicks said. “Keeping calm and a cool head is important when you’re leading this big of a team.”

After previously running for this spring semester’s EIC position, Solis was selected this year by a student publications board made up of CMU faculty, students and alumni.