Q&A: A sit down with graphic designer Rebecca Thresher

b3-graphicdesign1
Tianyu Han | Staff Photographer Senior Rebecca Thresher's graphic design display at the University Art Gallery.

Central Michigan Life senior reporter Elizabeth Benson caught up with graphic designer Rebecca Thresher for a Q&A session. The Flint senior’s work will be showcased until April 19 in the Visionarium exhibition at the University Art Gallery.

EB: What drew you to graphic design?

RT: I had always loved art but, as I got older, I also fell in love with technology and all that it was capable of. Graphic design, then, combined my two loves together and I haven’t regretted that decision since. I am working in a growing market, in regards to the limitless technological advances, and it’s fun.
EB: What inspires you?
RT: I’m inspired by making something meaningful, beautiful, and fighting for what’s right. I also really love patterns and nature. There are so many differences between things man-made and those that are natural. I don’t really believe that one is much better than the other, but they both have their unique properties. I am influenced by both in their simpler forms (straight vs. curved).
EB: What has been your biggest success?
RT: My biggest success so far has to be that my whole class finished this show on time and it turned out pretty great in my opinion. There were doubts and we always had to tell each other we could do it, because we had faith in each other. In the road to making this show a success, our class bonded in a way I never expected.
EB: What about your biggest failure?
RT: I always underestimate the time I need to do things, and any instance where I do that usually leads to me forgoing sleep or food. None of those are good for me and I fail myself by doing that.
EB: What are your plans after graduating??
RT: I currently work in-house for a specialty pharmacy and I continue to work there after my graduation. Farther into the future, I’d really like to try working for a larger multi-national design firm or ad agency to gain a wider range of experience with many difference types of clients.