CMU's online programs for veterans ranked No. 1 in country

After receiving a ranking of 14 last year, U.S. News and World Report has named Central Michigan University as the No. 1 online undergraduate program for veterans.

CMU’s online Master in Arts Education program also earned a No. 1 ranking, according to a press release issued by the university.

“CMU has established a national reputation for its unwavering commitment to military education and student attainment of their educational and professional goals,” CMU Global Campus Vice President Pete Ross wrote in the press release. “Through initiatives such as our Veterans’ Resource Center and new academic programs, such as our Graduate Certificate in Cyber Security, CMU will continue its longstanding commitment to its military students.”

Each university was ranked according to four different criteria. The requirements include: Certification for the GI Bill while participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program, offering an avenue for veterans to reduce their college bills through federal initiatives, being an active member of the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Consortium, and finally, teaching at least one course in Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support.

CMU also ranked No. 3 in graduate education programs for teachers and administrators, as well as No. 17 in its online graduate business program.

CMU President George Ross wrote that the rankings shows a clear evolution in the university’s programs.

“As an institution with more than 120 years of transforming lives through education, the U.S. News ranking speak to our leadership in evolving, strengthening and providing access to higher education across the nation,” Ross wrote.