Special Olympics Michigan: First day of Games brings out the best in athletes, volunteers

SOMI-Closing-Ceremony14
Members of the Central Michigan Football team line the entrance to Kelly/Shorts Stadium for the Closing ceremony and victory dance Fri. May 30, giving out high-fives and signing autographs. Taryn Wattles | Staff Photographer

[gallery type="slideshow" ids="187172,187173,187174,187175,187176,187177,187178,187179,187180,187181,187182,187183,187184"]

After the Flame of Hope was lit on Thursday's opening ceremonies of the Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games, Central Michigan University was primed to host the weekend-long festivities and competition the helped display the essence of  human compassion and brotherhood.

As the games began on Friday morning, that spirit of connectedness carried on throughout the day. Together, the bright sun, warm temperature and the boiling enthusiasm of the athletes made the conditions right for yet another memorable year for volunteers and family members.

“It’s all smiles all the time,” said Whitmore Lake sophomore Kelsey Fearer. “It’s really fun just seeing how happy the athletes get no matter what place they’re in. They’re always supporting each other too, even those from different areas. It’s awesome to see.”

SOMI-Closing-Ceremony23
Closing ceremonies of the 2014 Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games. Taryn Wattles | Staff Photographer
SOMI-Closing-Ceremony24
Even the medical staff gets down with the Cupid Shuffle during the closing ceremony of the 2014 Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games. Taryn Wattles | Staff Photographer
SOMI-Closing-Ceremony25
The 'Cupid Shuffle' gets the crowd off their feet and moving to the beat during the victory dance of the closing ceremonies of the 2014 Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games. Taryn Wattles | Staff Photographer
SOMI-Closing-Ceremony26
Officer Laura Rico gets down and boogied out during the closing ceremony of the 2014 Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games. Taryn Wattles | Staff Photographer
SOMI-Friday-Games-02
Donald Abbott, 43, flexes his muscles for a portrait after competing in the 2014 Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games. Taryn Wattles | Staff Photographer
SOMI-Friday-Games-03
Volunteers give high-fives to athletes after completing a race Fri. May 30 at the 2014 Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games. Taryn Wattles | Staff Photographer
SOMI-Friday-Games-04
Oakland County, Area 15, athletes pose for a portrait after their Bocce competitions Fri. May 30. Taryn Wattles | Staff Photographer
SOMI-Friday-Games-10
Josephine Alinoti, Ann Arbor, center, ties for 3rd in the 50m dash at the 2014 Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games. Taryn Wattles | Staff Photographer
SOMI-Friday-Games-13
Anthony Kucharski of Royal Oak wins the Gold Medal in Singles Bocce Fri. May 30 during the 2014 Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games.
SOMI-Friday-Games-14
SOMI-Friday-Games-15
SOMI-Friday-Games-16

Fearer has been volunteering with Special Olympics Michigan for four years. She said the most fulfilling part of her work with the organization is being able to interact one-on-one with the athletes.

“When you make a connections with an athlete, you can’t help but want to come back and see them every year,” Fearer said. “They’ll remember you year after year, it really means something. I just fell in love with it on the first day because you can’t be angry or upset around the athletes.”

For each of the athletes participating in almost every athletic facility on the south end of CMU’s campus – from track and field events to swimming – the sounds of jovial applause and genuine encouragement motivated them as they moved from one event to the next.

At the Lyle Bennett Outdoor Track, where a crowd of volunteers stood at the finish line to cheer on athletes as they crossed, the energy of the combined track events was palpable. Met with high-fives and hugs, almost every athlete was impelled to pick up a burst of speed on the final stretch of their race.

“I was neck and neck with another kid and I turned on the jets at the last moments and passed him,” said Aaron Crooks of Grand Rapids, who won a gold medal in the 400m dash. Crooks said he was running for his deceased girlfriend and her family. He has been running in the Special Olympics for five years.

“I love it every year,” he said. “We come and win these (medals) every year for them.”

Winning wasn’t everything to all of the athletes.

Take Matthew Kemper, of Mackinaw City, for example. Kemper said he was pleased with his strong second-place finish, and despite running out of fuel at the end of his race, he can now "retire happy."

While younger competitors were in the majority, the games hosted athletes of all ages. Ruth Strien, 62, of St. Joseph, won a bronze medal in singles bowling.

Strien has been competing for nine years and has no intention of stopping anytime soon. She said she enjoys the Special Olympics because of all the new people she gets to meet.

Most athletes wore colored t-shirts designating their home region. By the end of the day, polychromatic groups of athletes roamed the campus grounds and proudly displayed their medals.

It was likely they had all met for the first time that day.

“It’s so heartwarming to see the kids,” said Shelby Township native Marisa Vaglica. “It’s their day, it’s all for them so everyone is here to support them. I’m sure that they feel special today.”

Vaglica was volunteering with her hometown friend, Shelby Township junior Kiersten Vendittelli. Their favorite memory from Friday was cheering on a person with a disability from their high school.

“I’ll come every year, it’s a great experience,” Venditelli said. “I love seeing how happy they are to see people cheer them on and tell them they did a good job. They’re so appreciative of that.”

As the day came to a close, Plymouth-Canton resident Kyle Albert was able to break down the perceived kinship forged among the athletes and volunteers into a simple mantra.

“Cheer on your teammates and support them, that’s your team,” he said.