Two CMU football players arrested for retail fraud, unarmed robbery

footballplayersportrait

Flory also charged with one count of marijuana possession

Two Central Michigan University football players were arrested June 7 after they attempted to steal $500 worth of DVDs and snacks from Walmart.

Junior wide receiver Andrew Flory, 21, was charged with two counts of second-degree retail fraud and one count of possession of marijuana, according to Isabella County Trial Court records. Defensive back Ryan Oruche, 21, was charged with one count of unarmed robbery and two counts of second-degree retail fraud. Flory was arraigned June 20. Oruche was arraigned June 10.

Flory is suspended from the football team indefinitely, said Rob Wyman, director of athletic communications. Oruche is no longer with the team.

Flory finished second among CMU receivers last season with 32 catches for 384 yards and two touchdowns. He is regarded arguably CMU’s second-best wide receiver behind senior Titus Davis.

Oruche appeared in only three games for the Chippewas last season.

Michigan State police responded to a retail fraud complaint June 7 at Walmart in Mount Pleasant.

An employee told police that he saw Oruche attempting to leave the store without paying for $247.17 worth of items. When the employee confronted Oruche, he pushed the man and fled from the store.

Oruche told police he and Flory stole the items from the store and placed them in Flory’s vehicle.

Video surveillance footage shows Flory leaving a third shopping cart at the doors of Walmart when the employee noticed Oruche.

The two men went back into the store a second time and attempted to steal more items, according to the police report.

When approached by police, Flory denied stealing anything, saying he only took a cart full of items to the doors but left it inside the store. The footage shows both Flory and Oruche placing at least two shopping carts full of stolen items into Flory’s car.

Trooper Mike Zeilinger interviewed Flory at his apartment where he noticed “12 partially smoked marijuana joints” on top of Flory’s laptop. Flory admitted the marijuana was his and was arrested and lodged at the Isabella County Jail.

Check back with cm-life.com for more on this story.