Administrator salaries make up 34 percent of payroll budget

jt_boardoftrustees_01_copy
Joe Tobianski/Staff Photographer President George Ross reads as the Board of Trustees listen in the President's Conference Room at the Bovee Center on Thursday morning. The big topic during the meeting was the about building a hotel on campus.

Administrator pay makes up more than a third of all the pay budgeted to Central Michigan University employees, according to CMU’s 2013 operating budget andm the 2013 Salary List.

How much more administrators may be earning this year is unknown until the new salary list is released at the beginning of the new year.

According to the approved 2014-15 operating budget, CMU is spending $6 million more on salaries compared to last year.

Of the $165 million budgeted for salaries in CMU’s operating budget last year, 34 percent of that amount went to administrators.

Administration and senior administration staff make up 891 of the more than 3,000 people employed at CMU.

Adding up administrator salaries in the CMU 2013 Salary List, administration positions received $55.9 million from last year’s budget.

Among the administration staff, 29 make more than $100,000.

Head football coach Dan Enos makes the most, $292,125, followed by College of Medicine Associate Dean of education Joel Lanphear with $234,814 and head men’s basketball coach Keno Davis at $230,625.

Excluding the senior administrator positions, women’s basketball coach Susan Guevara is the fourth highest paid administrator, earning $194,500, 25 percent less than the average salary between Enos and Davis.

Founding Dean of the College of Medicine Ernest Yoder was the highest paid senior administrator, contracted at $403,504, until his abrupt resignation in June.

CMU President George Ross retains the highest contracted earnings at $364,000, followed by Sean Kesterson, associate dean of clinical education at the College of Medicine, with $340,620.

Vice President of Financial and Administrative Services Barrie Wilkes has said in the past that the budget is set up so that funds are spent on the academic centers first along with budgeting salaries.

“Funds generated from tuition and state funding goes toward the academic centers first,” Wilkes said.

Without state aid and investment revenue, administrator salaries would eat up 19 percent of funds generated by tuition and housing, 57 percent for all salaries.

Visit cm-life.com for more budget stories.