EHS green roof helps reduce carbon footprint

Hundreds of students pass by the education building every day, but some may not notice that part of the roof is green.

Stephen Lawrence, associate vice president of facilities, said the green roof was installed when the building opened in 2008. He said the roof is green because it is made of 11 varieties of flowing plants known as sedum. The plants have heat and cold tolerance as well as low water requirements.

Lawrence said there are several reasons for having the roof.

"It reduces the roof temperatures thereby lowering air conditioning costs which lowers carbon dioxide emissions and our carbon footprint," Lawrence said.

Lawrence said the plant also reduces storm runoff, filters sediments in the runoff so it doesn't wash into the river and shields the roof from the sun.

Tarrin Bradshaw, Saginaw senior studying early childhood development and learning, said she noticed the green roof and didn't know what it was for a long time. But when she learned the purpose, she thought it was great.

"As college students, most of us are thinking about getting good grades and hanging out with friends, not so much on being environment friendly," Bradshaw said. "So for the university to step in and take the lead in helping the environment, it helps us as students as well as the university as a whole."