RSO's help to spread awareness for Deaf Awareness week

asls_logo
ASLS Logo

In reverence of Deaf Awareness Week, two Central Michigan University student organizations have stepped into the spotlight.

The American Sign Language Society and the Speech Language and Hearing Club both are focused on making college life easier and more welcoming for students and residents with hearing impairments. They also act as educational mechanisms for students that want to learn more about auditory health issues.

“We work toward bringing awareness to Deaf Culture, history and American sign language," ASLS secretary and Clinton Township senior Alesha Bove said. "We interact with deaf communities as much as possible."

The ASLS meets at 9 p.m. on Wednesdays in the Health Professions Building, Room 1255. Everyone is welcome, whether students are fluent in sign language or if they would like to learn.

“In ASLS, we all share a passion for Deaf Culture and ASL," Bove said. "If you are interested in learning about a history, culture and a language that is highly prevalent in this country, yet is not as well known, then this is the place for you," Bove said. "We interact within the community that we are promoting awareness for and give many opportunities to practice your signing skills." 

ASLS plans to host a few events throughout the year to get students involved and learning about Deaf Culture, but its main goal for this year is to be more involved with the people it serves.

“Involvement for us also means trying to be as involved in the deaf community as much as possible," said ASLS President and Clinton Township sophomore Rachel Stickel. "For example, every Monday night the deaf community in Midland has a social at the Midland mall, and once a month we drive out to join them."

SLHC is an organization for undergrad communications disorders majors and minors, or anyone that is interested in language pathology and audiology. It provides social and volunteer opportunities, as well as fundraising projects to help its members become closer and to raise money for the Summer Specialty Clinics.

“Last year, we were able to offer six scholarships to children that weren't able to come to SSC without our help,” said SLHC President and Macomb junior Danielle Tabacchini.

SLHC meets at 8:30 p.m. on Tuesdays in Grawn 100. The group's plans for this year include guest speakers made up of various professionals, graduate students and professors.

“People should join our RSO because we provide a lot of great information for anyone interested in communication disorders. We also like to have fun meetings where we incorporate games with communication disorders," Tabacchini said. "This RSO provides students with helpful information that will aid them as they move towards graduate school as well as giving these students the social aspect of meeting new members.”