Omega Beta Chapter wins 'best chapter'

Omega Beta Chapter of Pi Sigma Alpha was recognized by its national office as one of the best chapters in the nation for the 2013-14 academic year. 

The National Political Science Society was selected as one of four recipients for schools with enrollments of more than 25,000 students. There are more than 740 national chapters.

This award recognizes chapters that are active in departments and at universities. It also recognizes those that maintain the goals of the honor society while displaying enthusiasm and creativity.

Chapter president Courtney Overbeyan said she is excited to receive the award after a time of dormancy due to little student interest in the group.

“As a chapter that has been rebuilding, we were very honored to be recognized with this award from our national office,” the Onsted senior said. “Throughout the past year, we have worked diligently in order to provide the most enriching and fulfilling experience for our members.”

Visiting the State Capitol in Lansing to meet with legislators, participating in Speak Up, Speak Out panels and hosting a state representative as its keynote speaker at its initiation ceremony are all things members have recently done in order to promote the chapter.

Overbey said she is ready to move forward with the momentum that was gained last year in order to make this year successful.

“We are extremely grateful for the support and assistance that the political science department has provided us with, as well as for the guidance we receive from our advisor,”Overbey said.

When Nathan Grasse, assistant professor in the Department of Political Science and interim adviser, found out the Omega Beta chapter was granted the award, he said he was proud of the students.

“They worked extremely hard over the course of the year, which I observed particularly closely in the spring semester,” Grasse said. “They organized a couple of really impressive events, held very efficient meetings and conducted themselves in an extremely professional way.”

While Grasse said he can’t speculate too much on how the organization will do this year, he knows the student officers will be excellent, and with their effective leadership, will continue to grow.

Along with receiving a certificate, a $250 check from the National Office was also given to Pi Sigma Alpha. The chapter's success will be published in the fall edition of the Pi Sigma Alpha Newsletter within the American Political Science Association's quarterly journal.