Sigma Alpha Epsilon accepts first semester freshmen new

For the first time since 2003, Sigma Alpha Epsilon has accepted and initiated first semester freshman. The group brought in three new freshmen during last week's recruitment period. 

Until this point, SAE was the only fraternity on Central Michigan University's campus to not extend bids to the incoming class.

"The Greek Community has changed and we wanted to open our market to allow us to help potential brothers as early as possible in their college career," said Ryan Coy, SAE's Eminent Archon.

This change comes from last year when SAE's national headquarters dismissed the pledging process for the fraternity. That was largely an effort to make positive strives to end hazing among all national fraternities.

Until this semester, SAE used a deferment process, known as a red shirt program. The Greek organization would give first semester freshman the opportunity to be in communication with the chapter and come to certain chapter events until they could extend them a bid to formally join the chapter.

This deferment program came about when SAE joined CMU's Greek community in 2004.

The chapter believes that this will give them the opportunity to recruit men that they could have been missing out on prior to the change.

With the change came a new set of harder requirements which ensures that the first semester freshmen hoping to join SAE are serious about joining the brotherhood as well as achieving at a high mark in their academics.

First semesters freshman interested in joining SAE will be required to have a 3.2 high school GPA and have two school involvements.

The previous requirement was a 2.7 college GPA and two other campus organizational involvements. Alumni said the increased standard 

"I think its a big step for the chapter," said former Sigma Alpha Epsilon President Alex Urban. "Deferred recruitment is something we've done since we were founded and I feel it really set us apart from the other fraternities in making sure the men we recruit are ready to balance college and Greek life. I understand decision though, as it is difficult to be the only group on campus that doesn't extend bids to first semester freshman. If the current chapter feels it was a necessary change, they have my support."