Special Olympics torch run to shut down one lane of Mission Street

One lane of Mission Street will be closed from Pickard Street to Preston Road Sept. 11 for the Special Olympics 30th Anniversary Law Enforcement Torch Run. 

The event will take place at 2:15 p.m. on Sept. 11, and will close down a 1.5 mile stretch of southbound traffic on Mission Street. The closed road will create a path for runners from the Special Olympics and the nearby community.

The route runs from the old Michigan State Police post across from the Meijer on Pickard Road, to the Special Olympics building. Those interested in participating can meet at the post.

In Olympic style, the Special Olympics Central Route team runs for a week while swapping out runners to carry the torch across Michigan. Kelly Berryhill, Special Olympics marketing and development secretary, said the runners are joined by communities they run through towns.

Special Olympics liaison Andrea Rachko oversees the Law Enforcement Program within the Special Olympics. She said the Central Route is a total of five days starting in Copper Harbor and ends in Sterling Heights.

The community run in Mount Pleasant is a part of the central route the team will be running.

The event is free and open to the public. Community members are encouraged to run with the athletes. 

Donations are also accepted. A donation of $25 earns you a Special Olympics t-shirt.