League of Women hosts election forum

The Mount Pleasant League of Women voters hosted a forum for 33rd district State Senate Candidates Judy Emmons and Fred Sprague Thursday. The event was supposed to be a debate between the two candidates, but the Emmons campaign notified the League that she would not be in attendance.

Emmons’s democratic challenger Sprague gave a five minute statement detailing his decision to run and things he wishes to work on if elected.

“We’ve never had this happen before," Sarah Delia, the President of the league of women voters in Mount Pleasant said.

Theresa Turner, the voter service chair for the league, said candidates that have been approached for debates in the past have declined but not canceled.

Emmons did not attend because of a bill sponsored by her that was being signed by Gov. Rick Snyder.

Despite Emmon’s absence, Delia and Turner still believe the event is important.

“The idea is to inform the citizens about the candidates so they can make an informed decision," Delia said.

Sprague, the democratic challenger in the 33rd district senate race discussed a few of the things he would like to do if elected.

Sprague stressed the importance of increasing funding for things such as roads and education.

“We quit funding the common good of public education and infrastructure," Sprague said.

Sprague also emphasized the importance of voting.

“The most important thing you can do on November 4th is vote and encourage others to vote," Sprague said.

The event also included a meet and greet with Mount Pleasant city commission candidates.

This election there are three candidates running for two open seats: Mike Vergleger, a current planning commissioner, Jim Holton, the vice mayor and Allison Quast-Lents.

Jim Holton, the current vice mayor of Mount Pleasant, is running because he enjoys being a part of the decision making process.

“I like being involved," Holton said. “I love the decision making that goes on that influences where tax money is spent."

Anyone who missed the forum can watch it on MAC TV charter channel 191 Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday at 10 a.m. and Monday and Thursday at 2 p.m.