Reunion at Rubble's

The story goes that John Knowlton was hanging at the Bird one evening in the late 90s, gabbing with friends-of-friends whose names he no longer recalls. Someone mentioned that while in college 10 years ago, he caught bands at the Foolery now and again. He remembered a group with a keyboardist who played a Farfisa organ (think “96 Tears”) that on up-tempo songs, which seemed to be most, he rocked back and forth to the point of almost tipping onto the dance floor.

John was temporarily speechless, as was the other guy when John recovered: “That band was the Confessions. The guy on the Farfisa was me.”

Like many college towns, the local live music scene in Mount Pleasant throbbed in the 80s. It was nearly the last stand for musicians, after juke boxes and deejays crowded the field but before hip hop and its minimalist presentation dominated, before karaoke swept the country and bar owners discovered that tipsy patrons – “Sweet Caroline! Bah bah bah” – were capable of making their own entertainment.

The Wayside, the Bird and the Wesley Foundation featured live music back then, as did long goners like Nick’s Wagon Wheel on Mission and the Stagecoach Lounge on Pickard. And there was always a concert or festival at Island Park, in the University Center, Warriner Auditorium, or somewhere on campus.

The Foolery was another piece of the music pie – and definitely the largest piece in terms of range. With other clubs focused on hard rock and Top 40 bands, the Foolery was known as Mt. Pleasant’s “punk bar.” It was the heart and nexus of the indie/alternative scene, and touring acts toiling in underappreciated genres found their way to its stage: Blues, rockabilly, reggae, ska, zydeco, jazz and every eclectic hybrid. The Kingbees, Fishbone, the Flaming Lips, Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown and many others played there.

The Foolery also fostered local talent. Student and townie bands were welcome, often paired together or opening for out-of-town acts.

The Confessions were among the scene’s many locals. They and another local act, Pan the Sirens, debuted at the Foolery on the same night in January ‘88. The bands became friendly rivals, sharing bills from time to time.

But ultimately, the Farfisa did tip over. The Confessions broke up in ’89 and Foolery changed hands later that year to become Rubble’s. Pan the Sirens disbanded in ’90. Thankfully, Rubble’s has carried forth the live music legacy.

On Saturday, Oct. 18, the Farfisa will be up-righted once more. Pan the Sirens and the Confessions will reunite at Rubble’s for a throwback show to rekindle that gone-but-not-forgotten ‘80s vibe. Ann Arbor-based roots rockers the Hungry Sea, featuring Confessions guitarist Greg Marten, will close the night.

Ken Marten attended CMU from 1985-87. He can be reached at ken_marten@yahoo.com