Biosciences building completion at 15 pecent

biosciencesbuilding
The $95 million Biosciences Building is scheduled for completion in September 2016. The 169,000 square-foot project will have concrete that could stretch to Ithaca.

As the fall semester draws closer to its end, construction on the $95 million Biosciences Building will continue on schedule well into the winter.

The project stands at 15 percent complete, said Steve Lawrence, associate vice president of Facilities Management. The four-story, 169,000 square-foot building is set to be completed in September 2016 and open for classes in January 2017.

Within the fenced-in plot in the center of campus, 9,000 cubic yards of concrete have been poured and 52 miles worth of wiring have been laid. An additional 111,000 feet of pipe – enough to run from Remus to Mount Pleasant – have also been laid within the confines of the plot.

Lawrence likened the amount of cement poured to “a five foot wide by four inch thick sidewalk,” long enough to stretch from Mount Pleasant to Ithaca.

Although significant progress has been done, Lawrence said there is much still to be accomplished. About 70 percent of the total concrete is still left to be poured.

“All the plumbing, heating, and electrical – basically the bulk of the project – is left to go,” he said.

According to Lawrence, 140 tons of duct work spanning 7.66 miles, is also laid out within the building.

Construction crews are working on a multitude of different tasks. Site excavation, installing grade beams and columns, and insulating underground electrical ductbanks are just a few of the many things being installed and implemented during construction.

Crews will continue to work well into the winter, going so far as to winterize the concrete that they’re working so it cannot be slowed by the weather.

About Jordyn Hermani

Troy senior Jordyn Hermani, Editor-in-Chief of Central Michigan Life, is a double major ...

View Posts by Jordyn Hermani →