Greek Life rituals keep members' values in line with chapter

Initiation, pinning and Founder's Day are all words that may not mean much to students--unless they are a part of Greek Life.

Rituals are the traditions and ceremonies of a fraternity or sorority and are almost always private and only known by initiated members of a fraternal organization.

"What makes ritual important to myself as well as my chapter is that it shows you what being a member of that sorority really means," said Whitmore Lake senior Kelsey Fearer. "It outlines our history, values and a lot more. However, living your ritual is what you strive to do and be in your daily life."

Though all Greek organizations have rituals, each chapter does something different according to their specific values. 

"Our chapters are made up of different members with similar values," said Port Sanilac junior Lucie Sertich. "Ritual doesn't change; it is universal, yet unique to our specific organizations. It goes back to the early days when our founders started these organizations and held their traditions to the chapters we have grown to be today.

Rituals give members ideals to live up to that connect them to students on campus and people across the nation involved in the same organization. 

"Ritual helps us believe in something bigger than ourselves," said Hillsdale senior Megan Isabell. "It reminds us that it's not just for four years. It's for a lifetime."