Bourbon Street bonanza

24th annual Night of Louisiana heats up Finch Fieldhouse

Partygoers stepped out of the cold and onto "Bourbon Street" on Saturday night for the 24th annual Night of Louisiana at Finch Fieldhouse.

The field house was transformed into a Cajun-style party with twinkling white lights softly glowing on the dance floor as nearly 400 guests danced to zydeco style music.

The event was inspired by a trip to New Orleans taken by Director of University Events Robert Ebner. He said the event has always been about the music and dancing.

“That’s why there is such a huge dance floor and it’s usually full,” Ebner said. “I challenge anybody to sit still when they’re listening to this music.”

The music Ebner mentioned was Terrance Simien & the Zydeco Experience, a zydeco-themed, Grammy-winning artist. Also featured was the Pine Leaf Boys, a Grammy-nominated group with a Cajun sound.

The event attracted music fans, including professor Tiffani Waite, who has attended Night of Louisiana before.

"The music is amazing," she said. "The artists that (Night of Louisiana) are able to bring in are so talented."

Music wasn't the only thing on the menu.

Gumbo, red beans and rice, creole vegetables, blackened catfish, Cajun crusted chicken, cornbread and Mardi Gras coleslaw was served for dinner. Barbecue pork sandwiches, French Quarter jambalaya and shrimp cocktail were also offered.

The Executive Chef, David Miller, said he enjoys preparing food for the Cajun-themed party.

“It’s something different. [We] don’t ever get to cook this type of food,” Miller said. “It’s just a lot of fun.”

The party is a favorite of Nick Boles, head bartender for the evening, who requested to work the event.

“It’s very rewarding,” Boles said. “You get to listen to the ambient music all night. You get to eat really good food. You’re always on your feet and you’re always doing something.” 

The event’s food and music caught the attention of some out-of-town residents. Grayling resident Nancy Lemmen said she’s been hearing about the event on the radio for years.

“I’ve been looking forward to coming,” Lemmen said. “I like this kind of music. It’s lively and fun, and it’s really fun to dance to.”