Letter to the Editor: Students can make Connections That Count

opinion

TO THE EDITOR:

Students are always looking to be involved with something, whether it is volunteering, clubs, programs or sports. Central Michigan University has taken the strong leap to make a difference with many clubs and programs. One in particular that needs a little more attention is Connections That Count, held in the Student Activity Center (SAC). 

About 45 students at Central Michigan University are involved with Connections That Count, helping visiting children who have special needs to have a great time. Every Tuesday and every other Wednesday since 2002, this group has come together to put on lunch for the kids, which is followed by some activity. Just one day of participating with this group will show anyone how close the participants have become. Some fun activities Connections That Count puts on are fundraisers, swimming, bowling, arts and crafts, carnival day, rock climbing, museum visits and for the last two years a “school” dance. 

Many of the special needs students have never attended a dance, so some 40 children were able to enjoy it for the first time when Connection That Count first held it. These children should be able to feel comfortable going to a dance, so if they went with people that they felt comfortable around. If those students felt comfortable at a dance themselves, then the children with special needs would have someone to help them feel better about going to a dance. A program like Connections That Count is a perfect example of a way to help children with special needs find friends without any disabilities.

Connections That Count only takes two hours out of someone’s day, and those two hours put aside are worth it. CMU students and children with special needs come together, happy to see each other and then they all leave with a heartwarming smile. Some children with special needs may speak slow, have a hard time processing or might repeat things. Potential participants don't have to be good with kids in general to volunteer here, they just have to have patience. 

Volunteers are always wanted, and it doesn't take long for the students of CMU and the children with special needs to become the best of friends.

MARISSA NEAL

Sophomore

Bay City