Fighting the Flu

1mono
Head nurse Lora Zenz at the Foust Hall Health Clinic discusses the importance of hand washing to help prevent winter illnesses on Tuesday, January 20.

Forty-three states across the country are experiencing "widespread" flu activity according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Michigan is one of them.

The CDC reported 9,926 laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated hospitalizations across 13 states since Oct. 1, 2014. The Michigan Department of Community Health confirmed the state's first adolescent influenza fatality, last Friday. 

An average flu season lasts 13 weeks and this season may even exceed that due to an early start. 

That is roughly 100 days of fighting a virus that is constantly mutating and changing.

Because people generally spend more time indoors during the winter months, risks of getting the flu significantly increase. College students are particularly in close proximity during the winter months putting them at even greater risk, said Dr. Michael Deaton, Director of University Health Services.

“Think of a crew ship returning to port because a norovirus made the passengers sick," Deaton said. "A lot of people living closely together, it’s the same thing that happens in dorm halls.”

Director of Residence Life, Joan Schmidt, said residence hall staffs do their best to warn students and educate them on illness prevention using posters and flyers, but ultimately it is the student's responsibility to stay healthy.

Deaton said a flair in flu cases has already impacted the Towers just before winter break.

So how can students protect themselves this winter when classmates and roommates are dropping like flies?

• 1.

Get the flu shot. Deaton said he has given out around 1,000 shots this year—a 20percent increase from last year. CMU’s Student Health Services actually took third place this year in a state-wide competition testing which college could administer the most flu vaccines. Deaton is happy but not satisfied considering 19,000 people on campus may or may not have a flu vaccination. Shots cost $30 at Student Health Services. 

• 2.

“Head nurse, Lora Zenz suggested sleeping well, eating right and exercising to naturally combat illness. Alcohol and marijuana weaken the immune system by altering the way our cells respond to fighting viruses. So party in moderation this winter!

• 3.

“Keep your saliva to yourself,” Deaton said. This one is simple. Abiding by this rule might prevent flu, mono and a lot of other viruses. Drinking from somebody else’s water bottle or spending all night swapping spit are excellent ways to contract an illness. 

• 4.

Be courteous with your germs. “If you’re sick, stay home,” Deaton said, which may be difficult for some people. Deaton also cleared the air about proper sneezing etiquette which will literally clear the air from germs. “Instead of sneezing into an open palm, then touching everything, sneeze into your arm sleeve,” Deaton said.

• 5. 
  • “The No. 1 answer is soap and water,” Deaton said. While hand-sanitizer may be sufficient, nothing beats a thorough hand washing.

About Andrew Surma

Central Michigan Life Sports Editor

Central Michigan Life Editor in Chief (Summer 2016)

Central ...

View Posts by Andrew Surma →