Women's basketball loses first conference home game since 2013

Senior forward Jas'Mine Bracey avoids an Akron defender during the Chippewas' 74-72 loss at McGuirk Arena on Saturday.

A strong first half from the Central Michigan University women's basketball team was not enough to claim a victory as the Chippewas fell to the Akron Zips 72-70 on Saturday at McGuirk Arena.

CMU shot 51 percent from the floor in the opening half including four 3-pointers, but shot 33 percent in the second half.

“It’s not the end of the world,” said Head Coach Sue Guevara. “We are 4-2 in conference and we have a long way to go.”

Saturday marked the first time the Chippewas have lost a home conference game since February of 2013.

Akron's strong transition game was the difference. The Zips outscored the Chippewas 20-7 on the fast break.

Akron's Hannah Plybon scored a team-high 21 points, shooting 5-of-13 from long range.

The Chippewas' 3-point attack made a comeback as senior Kerby Tamm went 6-of-9 from beyond the arc. The Petoskey-native finished the game with 20 points.

“I have the confidence that if I miss two 3-pointers; the next two are going in,” Tamm said. “My teammates found me well on the parameter. “

Central Michigan had two players record double-doubles in the game. Senior Crystal Bradford scored 13 points and grabbed 13 rebounds, while freshman Tinara Moore finished with 12 points and 12 rebounds.

“I was pretty active, but it was in part to my team too,” Moore said. “They were shooting the ball so I could rebound the ball and be physical.”

Bradford became the top rebounder in school history with her performance.

“Bradford isn’t scoring that well right now, but she is doing other things that our team needs,” Guevara said.

CMU was just 3-of-9 from the free-throw line.