American Marketing Association hosts networking event

dsc_0216

Representatives from the Detroit advertising group SMZ work with students in the American Marketing Association during the Marketing and Advertising Network Night on Feb. 19, 2015 in the University Center Maroon and Gold Room. 

Acknowledging personal relationships to be beneficial in the business field, the American Marketing Association hosted its third Marketing and Advertising Networking Night, Thursday Feb. 19. 

The registered student organization invited marketing companies to the career fair, to recruit students for potential jobs.

“These recruiters are coming to CMU exclusively for AMA members, with the desire to recruit students,” said Flat Rock junior Lauren Gibson. “Because there are not as many people and it’s not as crowded, you get more one on one time with the companies.”

AMA Vice President of Corporate Relations and Midland junior Hannah Zimmermann contacted the eight businesses that she found fitting for the students and employers, to create effective connections.

“We try to keep the event more intimate, that way students and employers can form better relationships,” she said. “With only eight businesses, the meetings are more personal and memorable. It is all about quality over quantity.”

The night was mandatory for AMA members. They were able to network with Enterprise, Coyote Logistics, Quicken Loans, Thomson Reuters and Speedway.

“We follow the work hard, play hard attitude,” said Coyote Logistics recruiter Daniel Parke. “If you are involved in an organization, and spending your free time getting your name out there, it is definitely respected.”

AMA Members also had the opportunity to network with three other companies: Berline, SMZ and Southwestern Advantage.

Southwestern Advantage recruiter and 2014 CMU alumnus Christian Debay was once in AMA, and received his job through connections made in the organization.

“When I was in AMA, a Southwestern Advantage speaker came to one of our events, and I created a relationship with them. Now here I am, right out of college recruiting students too,” he said. “From AMA and any other organization you join, you are opening one door and it will open several more.”

Prior to the networking night, the club held a resume workshop, discussed the companies and reviewed their job pitches.

“When meeting with these companies you really have to sell yourself. You need to tell recruiters why you will be good for that position,” Gibson said. “It is always important to be informed. You need to know who the companies are, what the companies are looking for, and know how your previous work is relevant to a company.”

AMA President and Plymouth senior Harrison Michels is confident MANN night will remain an influential event for members.

“Marketing in general is based on relationships, and this night reflects that,” he said. “We encourage students to make relations with the companies tonight and continue to pursue them into their future.”