Coming Home: Bonamego introduced to media, community

2_bonopp
John Bonamego holds back tears during his speech at the Press Conference Feb. 9 in the Events Center Atrium.

His voice quivered as John Bonamego addressed the media and the campus community Monday as the 28th Central Michigan University football coach at the CMU Events Center.

Bonamego signed a 5-year contract that will pay him  $475,000 per year. He will receive $125,000 for television, radio and other promotional appearances and a base salary of $350,000. 

Bonamego accepted the position he called his “dream job” last week. Bonamego’s hiring was announced Sunday.

“This is not just a job,” the 27-year coaching veteran said. “To me, this is the job. Words cannot express how much I love this place and what this day means to me. I plan to start and end my head coaching career here.”

Dave Heeke, CMU athletics director, said a search committee identified about a dozen head coach candidates. That group was culled to seven candidates who were interviewed.

This is the third time he has been a candidate for the head coach job, Bonamego said.

“He had expressed interest in this job before,” Heeke, who first met Bonamego in 2006 said. “He really loves CMU. The passion he has for this place is what makes this such a great day for our program.”

A 1987 graduate, Bonamego walked on the football team as a quarterback and wide receiver. He spent 16 years in the NFL as an assistant coach, primarily as special teams coordinator.

Working with special teams gives him a unique advantage, Bonamego said, as he begins work as a head coach.

“I was one of the guys who had the most interaction with the entire (NFL) team,” Bonamego said. “Game management and every little detail is so important on special teams. That will help me do great things here.”

Bonamego said he has spent more time on CMU’s campus than any other place.

“This is not just a job,” the 27-year coaching veteran said. “To me, this is the job. Words cannot express how much I love this place and what this day means to me.”

Bonamego spoke to the CMU football team on Sunday and assured them he had a plan that could lead them to success.

“I told them, even though I’m not the one who brought them here, they are still mine,” Bonamego said. “I’m committed to those guys.”

Center Nick Beamish said the last two weeks has been difficult for the team.

“Nobody really expected this. Our assistant coaches made sure everyone stayed positive,” Beamish said.

“I’m really proud of the job our assistant coaches did in making sure the players here were confident at all times,” Bonamego said. “There is a solid foundation here and I know we are going to win and we are going to win now.”

When Bonamego walked into the team meeting room, Beamish said the Chippewas were sure they had found a confident, charismatic leader.

“It’s just the way he carries himself and talks,” Beamish said. “There was no other choice than to be right behind him.”

Former CMU quarterback Dan LeFevour was in attendance for Bonamego’s introduction. LeFevour was with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2012 when Bonamego was an assistant with the team.

“I knew him as a family man, but I hadn’t seen him first-hand as a coach,” LeFevour said. “It was great to see that passion. I knew he wanted to be a head coach here.”

Detroit Lions head coach Jim Caldwell said Bonamego has always been enthusiastic about his love of CMU and its football program.

“It’s not very often where a guy in our profession has an opportunity to coach his alma mater,” Caldwell said. “It’s a very special, unique opportunity. John has spoken often about having an opportunity to coach at Central Michigan, and I think it was really – I don’t know if you want to call it his bucket list – but one of his ultimate goals.”

In less than three weeks, the CMU football program has gone from without a head coach, to having a face and a name that is proud to call himself its leader.

“If you see me out in public, come say hi. I will always be approachable,” Bonamego said. “We aren’t hiding anything here. If you’re a Chippewa, I’m your coach.”

About Dominick Mastrangelo

Dominick Mastrangelo is the Editor in Chief of Central Michigan Life. Contact him at: editor@cm-life.com 

...

View Posts by Dominick Mastrangelo →