COLUMN: Attention graphic designers

opinion

Are you interested in graphic design? 

If you are or have already tried to apply to the program, I suggest you take this to heart.

After this semester, the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design will only be accepting portfolios once an academic year instead of the current, per-semester submissions. Some students may be running out of courses to take outside the program and need to start taking the required major courses. Start preparing a portfolio now for the upcoming submission on March 6 so you can start taking courses for the major.

Getting into the program may seem like a big obstacle and quite the hassle to students who want to dive right into the graphic design program. 

I know the stress you're going through. 

My portfolio was all I could think about for a week straight. But the feeling after getting into the program and knowing you are that much closer to graduation is worth the stress.

I see the submissions as a necessary obstacle, as it weeds out the students who are not serious about the major. The ones who are serious work hard on their portfolios. You have to be good to be one of ten students admitted every semester.  

First off, go to art.cmich.edu and download the BFA application and instructions. Fill that page out and write a pretty juicy essay describing why you want to get in the program.

Next, include a description page for each design. A few sentences describing your inspiration as well as what the design was for is strongly suggested. Make it look appealing.

Demonstrate your typography skills. Knowing your fonts and hierarchy will make a difference to the judges.

If you have designed a cover for a CD or t-shirt, or something bulky and large, don't include the entire thing in your portfolio. It looks unappealing as well as unprofessional. Instead, take a picture of it.

To ensure your portfolio is diverse and appealing, include both in-class and out-of-class examples of your design work. This shows the judges that you are interested in the program, spending hours outside of class sharpening your skills.

Limit yourself to 10 pieces at maximum, although I recommend fewer than that. It is better to have fewer good pieces than ten that showcase mediocre work. You don't want to fill your portfolio with mediocrity.

Plan for the worst.  It's OK to not get accepted in the program your first try, and most don't. I didn't get accepted until my second try. 

Never give up on your portfolio or your work. It's always a work in progress. Good luck.