Green Tree Cooperative to expand three times its current size

greentree1

Joseph Granados, a sophomore at Mid-Michigan Community College, stocks shelves on Feb. 21 at Green Tree Cooperative Grocery in downtown Mount Pleasant. 

Originally a buying club formed by Central Michigan University students and Mount Pleasant community members in 1970, Green Tree Cooperative Grocery has about 1,600 owners and is looking to expand its size and move its location.

The expansion will include a parking lot, room for more merchandise and an indoor seating area for the deli. Green Tree employees said the expansion is to increase their sales and build a greater sense of community.

Planning to stay within the downtown area, Green Tree’s only problem is relocating for expansion. The owners of the cooperative are actively searching for a new location.

“We have a couple of different options available to us, building up from scratch or finding a suitable location,” said Laura Coffee, Green Tree’s marketing and outreach manager said. “We are going to expand, that is concrete plan. We want to find a sustainable location that will (meet the needs of the costumers).”

The cooperative works with 16 local area farms and 45 Michigan vendors. Owners create options for people who have specific food allergies or follow alternative diets such as vegetarian, vegan and gluten free.

Green Tree offers on-the-go options in their deli section, making it accessible for students. Deli selections are made with USDA Certified Organic ingredients, local meats and produce, and bread from Stonehouse in Traverse City.

“There are so many fast food chains in Mount Pleasant, and I’m thankful we have a healthy option,” said senior Taylar Miller. “They genuinely care.”

Green Tree has $50,000 in equity and is calling on all of their owners to pay off their shares to continue with their expansion efforts. The overall cost for expansion totals $110,000.

The cooperative started as a buying club and was officially found as “Mount Pleasant People’s Food Co-op” in 1977. Fourteen years later the Mount Pleasant cooperative moved to its current location at 214 N. Franklin, changed its name to “Green Tree Cooperative Grocery” and doubled in size.

“Our food cooperative is consumer based,” Coffee said. “A consumer co-op means the business is owned and run by members in the community.”

A cooperative allows owners to buy one share and includes voting rights to any business decisions. A board of direction is made up of nine owners voted on by the shareholders. The board of director’s then votes on a general manager who handles the day-to-day operations of the business.

“Any person over 18 can buy a share of the cooperative,” Coffee said. “It’s a democratic business. One share is $30 a month. Owners can only buy one share because we want everyone get a equal voice in the voting process.”

For every dollar spent 68 cents is given directly back to the community. Green Tree has participated in outreach events and worked with Downtown Business Association, Art Reach and the Commission on Aging.

“It’s important for people in our community to have somewhere to go if they are striving for a healthy lifestyle,” said Flat Rock junior Kelsey Wooten, an employee of Green Tree. “Our customers can feel secure about the food that they are buying because they know where it comes from and that it doesn’t contain harmful chemicals.”