New Master of science in engineering and technology degree next fall

college_of_science_tech2

A new Master of Science in engineering degree will be implemented by Central Michigan University's school of engineering and technology next fall. 

The two-year program is research based. Requirements are six credit-hours of research, 24 credit-hours of coursework and a concluding thesis.

Engineering and Technology Chair Mohamad Qatu said the masters program is being added to offer opportunities for students and staff.

"We want to give additional opportunities to our students (so they can) advance in their academics and prepare for either industry or pursue an advanced degree," Qatu said. "The second reason is to help our faculty and institution advance in their research portfolio."

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects the overall engineering employment will increase by 12 percent between 2010 and 2020. Qatu said the growing market for engineers is the reason enrollment has doubled in the past three years for the school.

"We are growing so much because students understand (employers) are paying engineers top salaries," Qatu said. "Students come to us to get that education and prepare them for a life-long career."

The department is also expanding it's teaching staff. The school of engineering and technology will be adding four new faculty members for the fall semester to pursue external accreditation. 

"Students are coming wanting engineering degrees, thus we have been growing very fast," Qatu said. "The growth in out faculty is related more to (CMU) pursuing quality programs and external accreditation."

James Hasbany will be among the first to begin the masters degree next fall, he aspires to become an airspace researcher for NASA. Hasbany said the masters degree would be another step toward his goal.

"NASA has always been my dream. I've been anticipating it since I was about 12," the Grand Rapids senior said. "I think probably 80 percent of the research team at NASA would be in the PhD or Doctoral form."

Tolga Kaya is the graduate coordinator for the new masters program who will be teaching some of the courses and advising students in their research. Kaya said people in the work-force have higher start-up salaries, more options, and are more specialized when they graduate with a masters degree.

"Now (that) we have been growing, we would like to be able offer more to our students (so they can) specialize in their field," Kaya said.